Steamed Thai Banana with Sticky rice in Banana leaf or " Khao Tom Mud " in Thai. This is very traditional Thai dessert. It made with sticky rice, Thai banana, coconut milk, sugar and banana leaves. Thai people know Khao Tom Mud in every city or village. This is dessert recipe but it is very filling and could be served as a main course. I love it, and it may be impossible to find person who had it before doesn't like eating it. I have to learn how to make this recipe. I have to imagine how did my grandmother make it for me since I was little. I saw people made it at my wedding too and I did research some more recipe to learn how to make Khao Tom Mud. It is fun to work on banana leaves to wrap the food. This is very talented to me to learn to appreciate banana leaf here because I can't just walk to my yard and tear the banana leaves from banana tree. Hope you enjoy very traditional Thai dessert.
1) 2 cups sticky rice
2) 3/4 cup coconut milk
3) 1/4 cup sugar
4) 1/2 salt
5) 7 ripe Thai banana
6) Banana Leaf
Preparation:1) Soak the sticky rice in water for 3 hours or overnight.
2) This is ripe Thai banana.
3) Peel bananas and cut into halves.
4) After soak sticky rice with water, drain and set aside.
5) In a pot, add coconut milk, salt and sugar. Turn on medium heat. Stir until ingredients are dissolved.
6) Add the sticky rice into a pot.
7) Stir constantly until the rice becomes tender and all the coconut milk is absorbed.
8) Remove from the heat and place to another bowl.
9) Cut banana leaves into 8"x10". Make sure you clean banana leaves very well and dry them off.
10) On a piece of banana leaf. Spoon sticky rice into the middle.
11) Place a sliced of banana on top of sticky rice.
12) Wrap it up as my photos are shown you how to wrap it step by step. Fold the bottom up over the filling.
13) Fold the top down to filling.
14) Then, fold the left and right corners to the center.
15) Place into the steamer.
16) When you finish work, bring to steam for 45 minutes or until sticky rice is cooked.
17) When it is cooked, you can see the banana leaves has been changed from green to brown. Remove from the heat and enjoy it. Remember we don't eat banana leaf.