Thai spicy ground shrimp with toasted rice or "Larb Gung ; ลาบกุ้ง " in Thai. Larb is one of our favorite Thai dished. It is very easy to make and and often extremely spicy, but the lime juice and mint leaves make for an exotic and splendid combination. It can be found on Thai restaurant menus in America. There are variations of larb, you can do with pork, beef or chicken but I will cook with shrimp this time. It has nice texture with shrimp too. I normally cook with fish for this dish. Most of people do love this dish. I hope you try to make it and enjoy the dish called "Larb"
1) 20 ground shrimps
2) 4 green onions
3) 5 sprigs cilantro
4) 4 sprigs mint
5) 2 Tbsp fish sauce
6) 2 and 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
7) 3/4 Tbsp toasted rice powder
8) 1/2 Tbsp ground dried chili pepper
1) Prepare the ground dried chili pepper. Those photos show you big amount because I made for the next time . It's easy to find and you can buy any store. Put dried chili pepper on the pan with medium heat.
2) Stir constantly to avoid burning until dried chili pepper turn to dark red.
3) Here I used mortar and pestle to grind the dried chili pepper. You can use the electric grinder for more convenient.
4) Set aside ground dried chili pepper for the dish.
5) Bring 1/2 cup uncooked rice to toast.
6) Stir constantly to avoid burning until rice turn to dark colour.
7) Bring toasted rice to grind , you can use the grinder to save sometime and more convenient.
8) Set aside toasted rice powder.
9) Clean and peel shell shrimp.
10) Grind shrimp.
11) Wash cilantro, mint and green onions.
12) Chop green onions, mint and cilantro.
13) In a pan, pour water 1/4 cup on high heat to cook the ground shrimp.
14) When the water is boiling, add ground shrimp to cook.
15) Stir for a minute until shrimp is cooked.
16)Add toasted rice powder, ground dried chili pepper, fish sauce and lime juice.
17) Mix well until all ingredients get together.
18) Add chopped vegetables.
19) Stir well and taste. It should be a little bit hot and sour. You should be able to taste tartness from the lime juice and the fish sauce.