Thai Spicy Bamboo Salad or Soup Nor Mai: ซุบหน่อไม้ in Thai. This is another Esarn food that I want to learn to make for myself at once. I like the taste of Soup Nor Mai, very sour and hot. I got a bottle of bamboo shoot in Bai Yanang Juice. Let's see how can I make my new dish.
1) 1 bottle of bamboo shoot in Bai Yanang Juice.
2) 4 shallots.
3) 2 Green onions
4) 3 sprigs cilantro
5) 5 Lao cilantro (Optional)
6) 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
7) 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
8) 1 Tbsp toasted rice powder
9) 1/2 Tbsp ground dried chili pepper
10) Mint and sesame seed for garnish
1) Prepare the ground dried chili pepper. Those photos show you big amount because I made for the next time . It's easy to find and you can buy any store. Put dried chili pepper on the pan with medium heat.
2) Stir constantly to avoid burning until dried chili pepper turn to dark red.
3) Here I used mortar and pestle to grind the dried chili pepper. You can use the electric grinder for more convenient.
4) Set aside ground dried chili pepper for the dish.
5) Bring 1/2 cup uncooked rice to toast.
6) Stir constantly to avoid burning until rice turn to dark colour.
7) Bring toasted rice to grind , you can use the grinder to save sometime and more convenient
8) Set aside toasted rice powder.
9) Peel shallots and wash dirt.
10) Then slice into small pieces.
11) Wash green onions, cilantro and Lao cilantro.
12) Cut into very small pieces.
13) This is a bottle of bamboo shoot in Bai Yanang juice. You can get in Asian grocery.
14) Open the bottle and bring to boil for 10-15 minutes.
15) Add toasted rice powder, ground dried chili pepper, fish sauce and lime juice.
16) Mix well until all ingredients get together.
17) Add sliced vegetables.
18) Stir well and taste. It should be a little bit hot and sour. I hope you enjoy my new dish.