Thai Coconut Rice Pancakes or "Khanom Krok ; ขนมครก " in Thai. If you are in Thailand you will see street vendor at the marketplace and you can get it for 1$, you can have it like 20 pieces. This is one of my favorite Thai dessert. I have never seen Khanon Krok that available in any Thai restaurants in this country except at Thai temple. This is very fun to try to make with my little kanom krok pan. Khanom Krok has two layers, first the rice flour mix, and followed by the sweet coconut milk topping. My recipe is really simple. I have green onions on top of Khanom Krok that make it has really nice flavor. If you have Khanom Krok pan try to make in your kitchen you'll know how delicious it is especially when served straight from the pan.
Ingredients for the bottom layer :
1) 1 cup rice flour
2) 1/4 salt
3) 1 and 1/4 cup coconut milk
4) 1/3 cup water
5) 1/4 cup vegetable oil
6) 2 Tbsp uncooked rice
7) 1/3 cup finely shredded fresh coconut
Ingredients for the topping :
1) 3/4 coconut milk ( creamiest part from the top of the can )
2) 1/4 cup sugar
3) 1/4 salt
4) 1/2 tsp tapioca
5) 1/3 cup green onions, cut in thin rounds ( optional )
1) In a small pan, add coconut milk and sugar on low heat.
2) Stir until sugar to dissolve. Add tapioca flour and Stir until smooth. Set aside.
1) Grind the uncooked white rice and shredded fresh coconut in a food blender. Then set aside.
2) Ground Uncooked rice.
3) Ground fresh coconut.
4) In big mixing bowl, add rice flour, coconut milk, water, ground fresh coconut, ground white rice and salt.
5) Stir and mix until well blended and smooth.
6) This is optional. I like green onion but you can use corn, taro or keep it plain.
7) Here we have all things we need to work on Khanon Krok. Let's do my fun part.
8) Heat the Khanon Krok pan over medium heat.
9) When the pan is hot, brush with vegetable oil.
10) Add the bottom layer into each hole of Khanom Krok pan. It's about 2 in 3 full.
11) Wait a moment, pour the mixture of topping 2 tsp into each hole to fill it.
12) Sprinkle the center of each hole with a little bit of cut green onions, or leave it plain.
13) Cover the pan with a round lid and cook until the cups turn slightly brown and crisp around the edge (about 5-10 minutes, or a bit more).
14) Cover with a round lid and keep checking until the pancakes are firm and crispy brown on the bottom.
15) Remove each cake and serve warm.
16) Usually the cakes are served as two (one placed on top of the other as shown below). I hope you enjoy it.