Thai Sweet Blue Sticky Rice with Mango or " Khao Nieow Ma Muang :ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วง " in Thai. I have Thai friend from Wisconsin send me a dried of Centrosema or the butterfly peas. We call "Dok Un Sun: ดอกอัญชัน" in Thai. She teach me how to make a beautiful colour of sticky rice with mango. Here I try it. Thank you, Peepom and my husband to help me to make it and it looks yummy. I made Thai sweet sticky blue rice with out topping this time. The previous entry I show you how to make the topping for Thai Sweet Sticky Rice with Mango. Here is the link to find the recipe how to make it. http://amporn-oleski.blogspot.com/2010/05/sticky-rice-mango-version-2.html
1) 2 cups sticky rice
2) 10 Centrosema or the butterfly peas "Dok Un Sun: ดอกอัญชัน"
3) 1 and 1/2 cup coconut milk
4) 1/4 tsp. salt
5) 1/2 cup sugar
6) 2 pandanus leaves
7) 3 mangoes
8) 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seed ( Optional for garnish )
9) 1 sprig Mint ( Optional for garnish)
1) This is perfect mango for sticky rice mango. And remember it has to be ripe mango.
2) Centrosema or the butterfly peas , Dok Un Sun: ดอกอัญชัน in Thai.
3) Wash sticky rice until water is clear and soak with the warm water for 3 hours or over night.
4) Drain and bring to steam.
5) Wash and cut pandanus leaves into 2" length then put on the bottom of sticky rice.
6) Place the soaked sticky rice on the top then bring to the steamer.
7) Pour water to boil in steamer on high heat, when the water is boiling. Then steam the sticky rice.
8) Steam sticky rice for 30-45 minutes or until grains look clear.
9) On the mean time, we can prepare the sweet coconut milk for the cooked sticky rice. In a pot, add 1 and 1/2 cups of coconut milk.
10) Add salt 1/4 tsp and 1/2 cup of sugar. Stir in a pot on medium to low heat. Stir frequently until sugar dissolves.
11) Add dried Dok Un Sun: ดอกอัญชัน into the pot.
12) Let the pot is boiling for 2-3 minutes until you see the mixture change colour into blue.
13) Bring the mixture to strain through a very fine sieve or cheesecloth.
14) When the sticky rice is cooked. Mix the steamed sticky rice in the mixture.
15) And cover it to let the coconut milk get in the rice for 15 minutes.
16) Peel mangoes and wash them well. First you have to slide through the top at the stem. Then you use the peeler to remove the skin.
17) Hold mango with your hand, and slide from the top to the bottom. And slice it again on the other side of mango. Discard the seed.
18) Cut mango into 1 cm. wide.
19) Place sweet sticky rice in a plate.
20) Arrange the cut ripe mango a side of sticky rice. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seed and garnish with mint. Enjoy!