Hot Thai spicy shrimp paste Chili Sauce or Nam Prik Kapi ; น้ำพริกกะปิ in Thai. This recipe is special for myself. It is not something that my husband will appreciate the shrimp paste. So I have lot of vegetables and mackerel for him to enjoy with me. If you have dry shrimp in hand please add in the sauce. I do not have it this time. It came out good.
Ingredients for the sauce :
1) 1 1/2 Tbsp shrimp paste
2) 1 1/2 palm sugar
3) 2 lime juice ( 6-7 Tbsp )
4) 4 cloves garlic
5) 12 Thai chili
6) 1 Tbsp fish sauce
If you have dry shrimp please add it up to the recipe. 2 Tbsp of dry shrimp
Ingredients for the side dish:
1) 2 mackerel fish
2) 3 eggs
3) 3 sprigs of dill
4) 1 tsp thin soy sauce
5) 1 Tbsp canola oil
6) fresh vegetables or cooked vegetables. Here I have fresh Thai eggplants, steamed broccoli, carrots, cabbage and long Green beans.
1) Here is some of my ingredients, lime, garlic, hot chili, shrimp paste, eggs, palm sugar and mackerel fish .
2) Here is shrimp paste I wrap it up with banana leave and put on the oven 400 F for 5-10 minutes. It looks too much in the picture but I did use it 1 1/2 Tbsp.
3) If you like to fry mackerel is good too. Here I put on the oven 400 F 30-45 minutes or until turn gold or cooked.
4) Peel garlic, remove chilies stems, wash pat dry and put in a mortar.
5) Coarsely pound chilies and garlic. If you have dry shrimp, you can add into the mortar and well pound with all ingredients.
6) Add shrimp paste into the mortar.
7) Then well pound with all ingredients.
8) Add palm sugar. Pound the mixture together.
9) Adding palm sugar, lime juice and fish sauce to suit your taste.
10) It should has a taste of sour, spicy and sweet.
11) Nam prik ka pi can be served with omelet. I put dill into my omelet. It is ok. I prefer to make omelet with Phak cha-om but I can not find one.
13) You can cut into a size 1 " dice to serve with the dish.
14) When the mackerel is ready. Take out from the oven and serve immediately.
15) This can be served in many ways. Spoon over fresh steamed rice or use as a dipping sauce for fresh or steamed vegetables such as cucumber, long green bean, cabbage or bamboo .In Thailand this is very popular to eat with fried mackerel fish or pla too and omelet with cha-om.
I hope you enjoy my cooking :-)