Sunday, January 31, 2010
Thai Steamed curried Seafood
Thai Steamed Curried Seafood or "Hor Mok Talay" in Thai. I cooked Hor Mok Talay for dinner tonight. I would like to give a little treat to my husband, David. It had been a hard day for him to get through with QuickBooks. Finally, he get it done with excellent job. This dish is one his favorite food. This is very traditional steamed with banana leaf cups, that impart a special aroma, last time I went to Bangkok I ordered Hor Mok Pla in Thai restaurant they take a shortcut by using aluminum foil, which unfortunately gives a metallic taste. Here I show you to use bell pepper too, somehow you can't find banana leaf. It might be easier for you.
1) 1/2 Lb. Tilapia
2) 16 shrimp
3) 1 cup octopus.
4) 1 egg
5) 2 Tbsp lite soy sauce or fish sauce
6) 1 Tbsp rice flour
7) 1 sprig cilantro
8) 3 fresh chilies
9) 5 kaffer lime leaves
10 2 bell peppers
11) Banana leaf
12) 2 Tbsp red curry
13) 1/2 Tbsp palm sugar
14) 1 and 1/2 cups coconut milk
15) 3 cups napa
16) 1 cup Thai basil
1) Cut fish into thin slices, peel shrimp and cut octopus, pat dry and set aside.
Pour water in a pot on medium heat, when the water is boiling bring seafood to scald for 3 minutes or half way cook then set aside.
2) Put coconut milk in a mixing bowl
and separate 1/2 cup coconut cream for put on
the top of Hor Mok Talay in small bowl.
3) Add red curry into the mixing bowl. Add palm sugar and fish sauce.
4) Stir well until all ingredients get together.
6) put scald seafood into mixing bowl.
7) Add egg into mixing bowl.
8) then stir very well and set aside.
9) Prepare all of vegetable
picked only cilantro leaves
sliced kaffir lime leaves
cut napa into small pieces
10) Pour water to boil in a pot on medium heat, when the water is billing bring cut napa and Thai basil to boil for 2 minutes.
Pour out the hot water and drain in cold water. Sqeeze the water out and set aside.
11) Cut top bell pepper and make cups from banana leaves
12) First, put steamed napa and Thai basil on the bottom of bell pepper and banana leaves cup
13) Second, fill the cups with the mixture.
14) Third, mix coconut milk with rice flour then put on microwave for a minute then put on top of each cups.
15) Top each one with some cilantro leaves, sliced kaffir lime leaves, and sliced chilies
16) Bring to steam for 30 minutes. Enjoy!