Thai spicy ground fish with toasted rice or "Larb Pla: ลาบปลา" in Thai. This is my second time that I did entry on my blog. Here is the first one. http://amporn-oleski.blogspot.com/2010/02/thai-spicy-ground-fish-with-toasted.html
I learn how to make the dish look more colourful and I toasted the rice with lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. That made the toasted rice is aromatic. I did learn to cook Larb on the pan same like the street vendor in Bangkok. I am so satisfied with my Larb Pla this time. This recipe is good for person who love hot hot spicy food.
1) 2 filet's tilapia
2) 5 sprigs cilantro
3) 2 green onions
4) 2 springs mint
5) 2 kaffir lime leaves
6) 2 Shallots
7) 1/4 red pepper ( optional)
8) 2 Tbsp lime juice
9) 2 Tbsp fish sauce
10) 1/2 Tbsp ground dried chili pepper
11) 1 Tbsp toasted rice powder
1) Wash lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves.
2) Bring 1 cup of uncooked sticky rice to toast on medium heat. Tear kaffir lime leaves and cut lemongrass stem into 1" length on the pan.
3) Stir constantly to avoid the sticky rice get burn.
4) When the sticky rice turn changed colour to gold.
5) Take the kaffir lime leave and lemongrass out from the toasted rice.
6) Bring to toasted rice to grind with the mortar and pestle or you can use the blender for more convenient. .
7) I made the toasted rice is more than I use in this recipe. But I save in the container for the future.
8) Put 2 cups of dried chili pepper on the pan with medium heat.
9) Stir constantly to avoid burning until dried chili pepper turn to dark colour.
10) Use the blender to grind the dried chili pepper.
11) Place into a container and set aside.
12) Wash all vegetables.
13) Chop mint, cilantro, red pepper and green onions. Slice shallots and thinly slice kaffir lime leaves.
14) Wash the filet's tilapia and pat to dry.
15) Use the cleaver to grind the tilapia.
16) Pour a cup of water to boil on high heat to cook the fish.When the water is boiling.
17) Put the ground fish into the pan.
17) Let it boils for 4-5 minutes until the fish is cooked. Take some water out from the pan and left very small amount.
18) Add fish sauce, lime juice, ground dried chili pepper, toasted rice powder.
19) Stir well until all ingredients get together.
20) Add chopped vegetables.
21) Toss thoroughly and taste your Larb Pla. It should be a little bit hot and sour. You should be able to taste tartness from the lime juice and the fish sauce.
22) Spoon the Larb Pla onto a serving plate, sprinkle with the remaining mint leaves, then serve immediately with steamed sticky rice.