Friday, June 17, 2011

Thai Pumpkin Custard

Thai Pumpkin Custard or " Sangkaya Fak Thong:สังขยาฟักทอง " in Thai. I just love to make Sangkaya Fak Thong for my friends and family. Learning to make Sandkaya Fak Thong can be fun to make it come out perfect but it may not be fun for all the times, especially when I can't make my custard came out well. First, I let the pumpkin cooked for 10 minutes. Then I pour the custard into the pumpkin and steam the custard with medium heat. Let the heat inside the pumpkin cook custard slowly. I have some friend try to make this recipe and she can't make the custard cook well. I hope this entry could help you to make a Thai dessert. I love to make and eat it. I hope you enjoy my blog. :-)

Ingredients:
1) 1 Japanese pumpkin
2) 5 eggs
3) 1/2 cup palm sugar
4) 1/2 tsp salt
5) 3 Tbsp pandanus leaves juice
6) 3/4 cup coconut milk

Preparation:
1) Japanese pumpkin.
2) Cut out top of the pumpkin.
3) And scoop out all the seed by using spoon. Wash inside and outside very well and set aside.
4) In a steamer, pour water to boil in a high heat. When the water is boiling. Bring pumpkin to steam.
5) Steam the pumpkin for 10 minutes.
6) While you are steaming the pumpkin. We can mix a custard. This is pandanus leaves. I find it at Asian store. If you do not have it, you can use vanilla extract which is fine too.
7) Cut into 2 " length.
8) Bring to blend with 1/3 cup of water for getting pandanus leaves extract.
9) Drain pandanus leaves extract and set aside.

10) In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and put pandanus leaves extract, salt, palm sugar and coconut milk.
11) Mix all ingredients together.
12) After we steam for 10 minutes, pour the custard inside the pumpkin.
13) Turn the heat down to medium, and let it steam another 45 - 60 minutes.
14) After 45 minutes, you should see the custard rising like a bubble out of the pumpkin or when the custard appears firm, try inserting a fork down into the custard - it should come out clean. If the custard hasn't set , or if the pumpkin is still not cook, return to steam a little bit longer.


15) Remove from steam pot and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Then, using your hands, lift the pumpkin out of the pot and place on a plate.


No comments:

Post a Comment