Tilapia baked with tamarind sauce and ginger or " Pla Op Num Ma Kham : ปลานิลอบน้ำมะขามและขิง". My husband and I love this recipe. Baked the tilapia with tamarind sauce and ginger. The sauce is sweet, sour with tones of Num Prik Pao, garlic and ginger. It just taste perfect to have the dish with Jasmine rice. If you love to eat ginger, don't be shy to put a lot of ginger. You will love the combination of Num Prik Pao, garlic and ginger. If you like to steam the dish, that would be fine. I like to bake it because it's easier and perfect result.
1) 1 Lb. fillets of tilapia
2) 3 Tbsp Tamarind sauce
3) 1 tsp sugar
4) 5 Tbsp water
5) 2 Tbsp Chili Paste in Soy bean Oil
6) 1/8 shrimp paste
7) 3" length ginger
8) 7 cloves garlic
9) 2 and 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
10) 1 Tbsp canola oil
1) Rise fish and pat to dry. Turn on the oven into 350 F
2) This is photo I want to show you tamarind paste, you can find at a Chinese, Asian, or Indian store.
3) Soak 1/3 cup of water with warm water for 5-10 minutes or until soft, peel garlic and ginger.
4) Squeeze the seeds and fiber with your fingers to extract as much juice.
5) Strain and discard fibers.
5) Mince garlic and ginger and set aside.
6) This is Num Prik Pao (Chili Paste in Soy bean Oil ) and shrimp paste.
7) Put canola oil into a pan with medium heat.
8) When oil is hot put minced garlic into the pan and fry until fragrant.
9) Add tamarind juice into pan.
10) Turn the heat low, add ginger, water, sugar, fish sauce, chili Paste and shrimp Paste into pan.
11) Mix all ingredients very well and turn on heat.
12) Place the fish into the baking pan.
13) Pour the sauce on top of the fish.
14) bring to bake with 350F for 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
15) Check the fish is cooked.
16) Place baked tilapia into the serving plate, garnish with some cilantro or green onion.
17) Here is the my favorite dish. Serve with the jasmines rice is the best. Enjoy.