Thai red Curry with shrimp or "Khaeng Phed Gung: แกงเผ็ดกุ้ง " in Thai. Thai red curry made from dried chili, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, galangal , and kaffir lime leaves. It can be made mild or very hot, it depends how would you like it. This recipe that I am going to show you. It's medium hot. I love to make Khaeng Phed with shredded bamboo shoots and red pepper. If you like to eat bamboo. You can find it any Asian store. It's very easy to find. I learn to start to make Thai curry with stir curry paste with oil before you put coconut in the pot. This make my curry is so colourful and beautiful. Of cause, it taste delicious too. I hope my blog could help you to try some Thai cooking and enjoy it.
1) 15 Shrimps
2) 1 can coconut milk or 2 cups of coconut milk
3) 1/2 Tbsp sugar
4) 2 and 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
5) 1 cup Thai basil
6) 3 kaffir lime leaves
7) 1 red pepper
8) 3 Tbsp red Curry Paste
9) 1 Tbsp canola oil
10) 1 can bamboo shoot
1) Peel shrimp, clean well and pat to dry.
2) Red curry Paste. They are in the can and big bag inside the plastic box.
3) Coconut milk.
4) Bamboo shoot. You can get it at Asian store.
5) Clean shredded bamboo shoots very well then bring to boil on high heat for 15 minutes set aside.
7) Wash all vegetables.
8) Cut re bell pepper into a bite size, pick only sweet basil leaves from stem and tear kaffir lime leave.
9) In a pot, heat canola oil in medium heat.
10) When the oil is hot, add red curry paste.
11) Stir until fragrant.
13) Add 1 1/2 cups of the coconut milk into a pot.
14) Stir until a film of red oil surfaces.
15) Add shrimp and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until the shrimp is cooked.
16) Add shredded bamboo shoots.
17) Add remaining the coconut milk.
18) Season with sugar and fish sauce.
19) Add kaffir lime leaves.
20) Add cut red bell pepper and Thai basil.
21) After a minute, turn off the heat.
22) Place into a serving bowl , eat with cooked rice. Enjoy :-)