Thai-Muslim yellow rice with shrimp or "Khao Op Gung : ข้าวอบกุ้ง" in Thai. This is my second time to try to make Thai yellow rice. I found some very simply way to make the dish. Of course, it wasn't come out like the original on the streets of Thailand, I was happy to hear from my husband said after his first bite " It's fantastic". From the ingredients, you can see that it’s a Thai-Muslim dish made with so many kinds of spices not typically associated with Thai food. I love my yellow rice to have with the sauce. Spicy and sweet and fresh and green, it went really well with the rice and shrimp.
1) 20 shrimps
2) 2 cup uncooked rice
3) 1/4 cup soy milk
4) 1 Tbsp. fried shallot.
5) 1 and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil for fry uncooked rice
Ingredients for seasoning mix
1) 2 tsp. curry powder
2) 1 tsp. turmeric powder
3) 1 tsp. grounded coriander seed
4) 1/2 Tbsp. cumin powder
5) 1 tsp salt
6) 1 Tbsp. sugar
7) 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
8) 4 bay leaves
Ingredients for sauce
1) 2 green onions
2) 5 sprigs cilantro
3) 3 " length ginger
4) 1 long cayenne pepper
5) 1/2 tsp salt
6) 3 Tbsp water
7) 4 and 1/2 Tbsp vinegar
8) 1 Tbsp sugar
This is fried shallot that I found at the Asian market. I use for garnish.
1) Mix all seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
2) Divide into 2 parts, one part to marinate with shrimps and another on to fry with uncooked rice.
3) Peel shrimps and clean well.
4) Then bring one part to marinate with shrimps and add 1/4 cup of soy milk in the bowl for 1 hour. Turn on the oven in 350 degrees,
5) After marinated the shrimps. Put into the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until the shrimps are cooked.
6) Wash the rice very well until water is clear.
7) Then drain in strainer.
8) Add 1 and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil into a pan in medium heat.
9) When the oil s hot add the second part of seasoning mix in a pan.
10) Add cleaned uncooked jasmine rice.
11) stir very well until seasoning get through the rice and rice become yellow.
12) Transfer all the seasoned rice to your rice cooker pot.
13) Add water 2 and 1/2 cup for cooking the rice.
14) Put sugar, salt and water into the pot with medium until sugar and salt dissolves. After that add vinegar into the pot.
15) Clean long cayenne pepper, green onions, ginger and cilantro.
16) Roughly chop the green onions, coriander, ginger (peeled), and cayenne pepper.
17) And place all into a blender.
18) And mix together with sugar, water, salt and vinegar from the pot then serve in a small bowl with Khao Op Gung.
19) This looks amazing and I love to eat yellow rice with the sauce. I wish you could try to make it in your kitchen sometime. Enjoy !