Stuffed Crescents with Mung Bean Filling or Kha Nom Thua Paeb;ขนมถั่วแปป in Thai. This is one my my favorite Thai dessert that I always get for Kha Nom Thua Paeb for 5 Baht in Thailand. Here I learn to make it. It's an interesting Thai dessert. If you are living in Thailand you will see two versions of this Thai dessert. You can see many colors of it. The yellow are steamed mung bean, the outer layer is glutinous rice flour. This is mixed with pandanus juice. This forms the dough. The juice from the pandanus leaf gives you the natural green colouring. For black you have to use black glutinous rice flour. The filling is grated coconut which has been steamed and then is mixed with the mung beans and salt. But here I add some sugar because I like it more sweet.
1) 1 package of mung bean ( 2 cups )
2) 1 package of frozen grated coconut
3) 1 package of frozen pandanus leaves
4) 2 and 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
5) 3 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
6) 2 tsp salt
7) 4 Tbsp sugar
1) Discard bad beans, wash and soak in warm water for 3-4 hours or over night.
3) Then bring to steam for 30 minutes.
4) This is frozen grated coconut. Bring to steam with mung bean.
5) Wash pandanus leaves and cut into 1 " length, then put in the blender with 1 and 1/2 cups of water.
6) Blend well and sift pandanus leaves extract. You will get 1 and 1/2 cups of green juice.
7) In a mixing bowl, add 2 and 1/2 cups of glutinous flour.
8) Add pandanus juice into a mixing bowl. And add, a little at a time then knead until soft and uniform, set aside.
9) Bring water 6 cups to boil on medium heat.
10) After mung beans are done. Place to the big plate.
11) After coconut is ready. Place to the big plate for toss with the pods.
13) ) In a small mortar, add roasted sesame seeds to break the sesame seeds open then add 1 tsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar.
14) This is the filling the pods. In a small mixing bowl, add grated coconut. Add 2 cup of steamed mung bean and 1 and 1/2 cup steamed grated coconut. 1 tsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar.
15) Divide the dough and roll into small balls about 1 " length in diameter, Roll out each ball into a disc about 1/4 cm thick.
16) Then bring to cook on the pot. When you drop into the pot, you will see the pods is on the bottom. Let the pods stay in the pot until pods float to surface. Then dip up from the water
17) Immediately tossed with the remaining of steamed grated coconut , place 2 teaspoonfuls of the mung bean filling on each disc
18) Fold the disc in half over the filling, and pinch along the edge to seal. Continue until finished.
19) Serve with the roasted sesame seeds, salt and sugar mixture. I hope you like this Thai dessert very much like I do. Enjoy!