Thai fish balls or Look Chin Pla; ลูกชิ้นปลา in Thai. Let's try to make something easy, and this can be used in the ingredients for many Thai dishes. I am talking about fish balls. You can have fish balls with hot sauce. You can cook Thai green curry with fish balls, and they are good in noodle soup. Here I will show you how I make fish balls in my kitchen. It tastes good and is a very healthy dish for us to cook from home.
1) 2 Lb fillet tilapia
2) 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
3) 1 tsp salt
4) 1/2 Tbsp ground while pepper
5) 1 tsp baking soda
1) Here is all ingredients you will need. It's simple.
2) I use mortar and pestle to grind white pepper.
3) Cut the fillet into 1 " length and put into a mixing bowl. Add all ingredients into the bowl.
4) Mix all ingredients together.
5) Place cut fish into food processor.
6) Blend very well until you get a fish paste. This is a new trick I read about on a web site. Put cubes of ice in to blend with the fish. That will make your fish balls soft and sticky. It can help your fish balls hold together.
7) Blend the fish another 4-5 minutes.
8) Place a fish paste into a bowl. Before I go the gym, I place the fish paste into the fridge for a couple of hours and come back to finish the fish balls. This is good for the fish balls to make them get soft and sticky. If you do not have time for it, you can put in two cubes of ice from step no. 6. It is just fine.
9) Pour water into a big pot over high heat, and pour cold water into a big bowl to let fish balls get cold after being cooked. While you are waiting for the water to boil, knead the fish paste another 5-8 minutes.
9) This is my way to make fish balls. I am sorry I ran out of the gloves. I try this way to make a ball shape. Put fish paste into a zip bag. Look at picure below.
10) Cut the bottom of the bag to make a small hole, depending on how big of fish balls you want.
11) When the water is boiling.
12) Turn the heat down to low.
13) Please wait until the water stops boiling. If the water is boiling, your fish balls will break apart and will not be in a ball shape after you drop fish balls into the pot.
14) Pour cold water into a bowl to let fish balls get cold after being cooked.
15) Make a ball shape, squeeze the bag and let the fish paste come out of the hole that we opened. Use spoon drop to the pot. You will see the fish balls will stay in the bottom of the pot for a minute and then float up on the water.
16) You can use your hand to cut each fish ball as well. I show you both spoon and hands.
17) After fish balls are floating up on the water, let them stay in the pot for another 8-10 minutes. Make sure fish balls are cooked inside.
18) Take out from the pot and let them cool in a bowl.
19) Let them cool for 5-10 minutes, then drained before bringing to serve.
20) You can bring to make a salad, green curry, noodle soup or have it with hot sauce. I will show you next time. I hope you enjoy it.