Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Shrimp Paste Fried Rice
Shrimp Paste Fried Rice or "Khao Kluk Kapi" in Thai. When we talk about shrimp paste, it might turn off for many people. We like to make a joke with something doesn't smell nice with shrimp paste but I cooked for to try. "it is delicious". The big difference between this dish and normal fried rice is that the rice is fried with shrimp paste which gives it a brown look. It 's also seasoned with sugar.They add sweet pork on top of fried rice but here we don't eat pork. I don't have sweet pork, however it still retain all flavor of the dish. We garnish the dish with shallots, thin sliced of omelet, chopped green bean and shredded apple ( we use mangoes in Thailand). Here I take some Granny Smith Apple from my husband's studio , wedge of lime, dry shrimp and chop fresh chillies. try to make Shrimp paste fried rice with side ingredients. It's yummy.
1) 1 Tbsp srimp paste
2) 2 cup cooked jasmine rice
3) 1 tsp sugar
4) 4 1/2 Tbsp canola oil( 2 1/2 for fried rice, 1 for omelet and 1 for fry dry shrimp)
5) 1/2 Tsp lite soy sauce for omelet
6) 2 eggs
7) 1 Granny Smith Apple
8) 4 fresh chillies
9) 3 shallots
10) 10 green bean
11) 1/4 cup dry shrimps
12) 4 crush garlics
Preparation for side dish
1) Beat eggs, add thin soy sauce.
2) Heat oil in a pan on high heat.
3)When oil is hot, spread the oil, pour the egg, and spread it in a thin layer over the pan.
4) Cut cooked egg into thin slices and place on a plate
5) Heat oil about 1 Tbsp in a pan on medium heat. When oil is hot.
6) Add dried shrimps, and fry until crisp. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
7) Peel shallots and thinly slice and set aside .
8) Remove the chilies from stems and thinly slice and set aside.
9) Cut the green been into small pieces and set aside.
10) Wash and Peel apple skin then shred it and set aside.
11) Peel garlic then grind garlic with garlic press.
12) Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
13) When oil is hot, add garlic and fry until fragrant.
14) Add shrimp paste into the pan .
15) Stir well until shrimp paste is soften.
16) Then add cooked rice.
17) Stir to mix thoroughly.
18) When the fried rice turn brown from shrimp paste, remove from the heat
19) Put shrimp paste fried rice on a plate, place thin sliced fried egg, fried dried shrimp, shredded apple, thin sliced shallot, slice green bean, sliced chillies and a wedge of lime around the rice. enjoy!