Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Thai Fresh Spring Rolls
Thai Fresh Spring Rolls, or "Pa Pia Sod" in Thai. Pa Pia is Chinese words, so this is Chinese style that become popular in Thailand. Vietnamese fresh spring rolls are more commonly here in America, you might be more familiar with them. I think Thai fresh spring rolls is no vermicelli which are usually found in Vietnamese version. My husband and I had first fresh spring rolls at Thai restaurant in Chicago. We had for an appetizers. Every bite was so good, I can tasted Thai basil, cilantro or all fresh vegetable they put in the rolls. We liked it a lot. They're very healthy and after that meal I though when I get back to my kitchen I will learn how to make it. Now This fresh spring rolls become a great finger food for our traveling. When I have guests I love to serve Fresh Spring Rolls as an appetizer. It takes so much time to make it but I enjoy to make it a lot. It shows great talent of my cooking. You can see through the beautiful colour of vegetable on fresh spring rolls. Every bite is so fresh and healthy. Try to make one Fresh rolls are also a terrific snack for any time of the day or night too, enjoy!
1) cooked shrimps ( 3 shrimp for 1 roll)
2) 1 package spring roll wrappers
3) 1/2 cup sliced extra firm tofu
4) 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
5) 1 cup 1/2 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
6) 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
7) 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
8) 1/2 cup shredded carrot
9) 1 cup thin vermicelli noodle
10) 1/2 cut green onion very small
11) 4 stems Green Leaf Lettuce
Ingredients for sauce
1) 2 Tbsp tamarind juice
2) 1 cup water
3) 1 Tbsp fish sauce
4) 2 Tbsp palm sugar
5) 1/4 ground peanut
6) 1/2 tsp salt
1) In a small saucepan, pour tamarind juice and water with medium heat
2) add palm sugar , salt and fish sauce
3) mix together all ingredients.
4) add ground peanut
5)When near boiling, reduce heat to low, stirring until sauce thickens taste for saltiness, spiciness, and sweetness, adding more fish sauce (instead of salt)the sauce can be served warm or cold. With fresh rolls
Preparaton for spring rolls
1) pick only Thai basil leaves from the stem and chop it
2) clean bean spround and let it dry
3) shred carrot
4) pick only cilantro leaves
5) cut cucumber into small pieces
6) cut green onions into small pieces
7) cut green leaf lettuce into 3 " long and 1" wide for
7) cook shrimps you can steam or boil if you got big size of shrimp you can slice thinly.
8) cook vermicelli rice noodles,
and run through with cold water or drained
then pat to dry
9) cut extra firm tofu into 2.5 " long
then bring to boil for 10 minutes.
10) now you prepared every ingredients
11) now it is fun time to start to make the roll.
How to make a roll
1) Take out one of the rice wrappers and place it in the bowl of hot water. You may have to gently press the wrapper down into the water. The rice paper will soften in approximately a few seconds.
2) When the wrapper is soft enough to eat (these rolls do not require cooking), remove from water and place on the clean working surface
3) Place a cut green leaf lettuce near the end of the wrapper,
4) add sliced cucumber and tofu,
5) now add 3 srimps on the top
6) add cut of green onions
7) add cilantro leaves
8) add Chopped Thai basil leaves
9) add cooked vermicelli noodle
10) last add shredded carrot
11) now time to start to wrap the roll
12) fold the right and left side into the center.
12) life the center of the wrapper and fold over
13) Complete the roll by folding over the other Side of the wrapper.
14) keep rolling to the end of roll.
15) and be sure you make the roll tight and not fall apart.
16) you got one and keep do the same step for next roll.