Saturday, February 13, 2010
Tilapia Panang Curry with Bamboo Shoots.
Tilapia Panang Curry with bamboo shoots or " Panang Pla Sai Nor Mai" in Thai. I made shrimp Panang curry 3 days ago. Today I try to make Panang curry with Tilapai and put some bamboo shoots. Ground peanut is in the Panang curry again. It is absolutely delicious!
1) 1/2 Lb. Tilapia
2) 1 cup coconut milk
3) 1/2 Tbsp palm sugar
4) 1 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
5) 1 cup Thai basil
6) 1/4 cup ground peanut
7) 3 kaffir lime leaves
8) 1 red bell pepper
9) 2 Tbsp Panang curry
10) 1 can shredded bamboo shoots
11) 3 fresh chillies
12) 3 cilantro roots.
13) 1/4 tsp salt
1) Wash fish and prepare to marinate with fish sauce
2) Remove chillies stems then use a mortar and pestle to crush the chillies and cilantro roots with salt.
Put 1 Tbsp fish sauce
3) Bring to marinate with clean tilapai for 20 minutes
4) Clean shredded bamboo shoots very well then bring to boil on high heat for 15 minutes
5) Drain with strainer and set aside
6) After marinated time, bring the fish to steam until cooked
7) Cut red bell pepper into 2.5" length
8) Cut kaffir lime leaves into half
9) Pick only sweet basil leaves from stems
10) Ground peanut by using mortar and pestle
11)Heat 1/2 cup of coconut milk over medium heat until the oil surfaces
12) Add Panang curry paste
13) Stir constantly for 2 minutes until fragrant and red oil surfaces then add another 1/2 of coconut milk
14) Add palm sugar, fish sauce and ground peanut
15) Stir well until all ingredients mix together.
16) Put shredded bamboo shoots into the pot and let it cook for a minute.
17) Add red bell pepper
18) Add kaffir lime leaves and Thai basil leaves
19) Stir quickly to heat sweet basil, kaffir lime leave and red pepper so they retain their colour, then remove from heat
20) Remove steamed fish from the steamer
21) Place a steamed fish into the plate
22) Then pour the Panang Curry Sauce with shredded bamboo shoots on top of fish. ENJOY!