Saturday, February 13, 2010
Thai Yellow Rice with Shrimp
Thai yellow rice with shrimp or "Khao Mok Gung" in Thai. Normally, most of people known this dish with chicken or" Khao Mok Kai" in Thai but we don't eat chicken here I adapt the recipe to make with shrimps. It is delicious with shrimp too. I like to eat this food and I love fragrant yellow rice with spicy sauce. It is hard to find to order in Thai restaurant. I would love to try to make the dish for my family.
1) 16 shrimps
2) 2 cup uncooked rice
3) 1/4 soy milk
4) 5 shallots
5) 1 Tbsp butter for cook shrimps
6) 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil for fry uncooked rice
7) 1 Tbsp canola oil for fry shallots
Ingredients for sauce
1) 2 green onions
2) 10 sprigs cilantro
3) 3 " length ginger
4) 1 long cayenne pepper
5) 1/2 tsp salt
6) 3 Tbsp water
6) 41/2 Tbsp vinegar
7) 1 Tbsp sugar
Ingredients for seasoning mix
1) 2 tsp curry powder
2) 1 tsp turmeric powder
3) 1 tsp grounded coriander seed
4) 1/2 cumin powder
5) 1 tsp salt
6) 1 Tbsp sugar
7) 1 tsp cinnamon powder
8) 4 bay leaves
1)Peel shrimps and clean very well
2)Mix all seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
3)Divide into 2 parts,
4)Then bring one part to marinate with shrimps and add 1/4 cup of soy milk in the bowl for 1 hour.
5) Slice shallots thinly
6) Add oil in a pan and place on medium heat,
7) Add half of sliced thinly shallot,
8) Fry in hot oil until fragrant and crisp.
9) Drain on paper towel.
10) After marinated time, heat 1 Tbsp butter in a pan
11) When the butter is getting melt
12) Add sliced shallots
13) Add shrimps to fry until almost cook.
14) Set aside almost cook of shrimps
15) Wash the rice very well until water is clear
16) Then drain in strainer
17) Add 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil into a pan in medium heat
18) Add the second part of seasoning mix in a pan
19) Stir well until seasoning get together
20) Add cleaned uncooked jasmine rice
21) stir very well
22) Stir until seasoning get through the rice and rice become yellow.
23) Put stir-fried rice into electric rice cooker.
24) Add water 1 1/2 cup for cooking the rice
25) When the rice almost cook
26) Add shrimps into the electric rice cooker then cook another 5 minutes. Here I don't put shrimps on the beginning of cooking the rice because I don't want to overcook shrimps.
Preparation for the sauce
1) Put sugar, salt and water into the pot with medium until sugar and salt dissolves. After that add vinegar into the pot.
2) clean long cayenne pepper, green onions, ginger and cilantro
3) cut green onions into 1 " length
4) chop cilantro
5) cut long cayenne into small pieces
6) slice ginger thinly
7) put them into the blender
8) Blend all vegetables very well.
9) And mix together with sugar, water, salt and vinegar from the pot then serve in a small bowl with Khao Mok Gung.