Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Green Papaya Salad mix with rice vermicelli noodles (Lao style )

Green Papaya Salad mix with rice vermicelli noodles (Lao style ) or Som Tum Shue ส้มตำซั่ว in Thai. This is one of my favorite salad to make green papaya salad to mix with cooked rice vermicelli noodle.

Ingredients:
1) 1 Green Papaya
2) 1 clove garlic
3) 6 fresh chilies
4) 1/8 tsp salt
5) 1/4 tsp shrimp paste
6) 3 Tbsp fish sauce
7) 2 and 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
8) 1 Tbsp palm sugar
9) 1 tomato.
10)3 Thai egg plants or long green beans

Preparation:
1)Bring water to boil and cook rice vermicelli noodle.

2) Drain and set aside.

3) This is green papaya that you can find in Asian market.

4) Peel the fresh skin then wash the White milk off.

5) Shred green papaya, here I use 2 cups and save the rest for next time.

6) Wash all vegetables that use with Som Tum , tomato, lime, Thai eggplants, fresh chilies and garlic

7) In the mortar, coarsely pound fresh chilies, garlic, salt and small amount shredded green papaya.

8) Thinly slice the skin Thai eggplants. Not the seed. Put into the mortar.
9) Slice tomato and put into the mortar.
10) Add shrimp paste, fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice.
11) Gently crush, and mix thoroughly
12) In a mixing bowl, mix the shredded green papaya with the mixture.

13) Mix all ingredients until get together.
14) Add cooked rice vermicelli noodles and stir thoroughly.
15) Spoon into a plate and enjoy your salad.

2 comments:

  1. I am drooling reading these recipes! Thank you for the Lao style Som Tam! It's my favorite kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh... That isn't real Lao Som Tum.. I am going to learn another recipe for real Som Tum that they make at Thailand. I called this place Asian Grocery 11 Marchwood Road, Exton PA 19341 610-524-5898 to get green papaya on this Friday and I will try this recipe again. I am excited to make this. After I try I will do entry on blog and share with you Linda..

    ReplyDelete