Thai Spicy Squid with Toasted Rice or Larb Pla Meuk ลาบปลาหมึก in Thai. This is spicy squid salad with toasted rice. I adapt from my Thai spicy ground tilapia with toasted rice http://amporn-oleski.blogspot.com/2010/02/thai-spicy-ground-fish-with-toasted.html.
1) 1 Lb. squid
2) 3 green onions
3) 5 sprigs cilantro
4) 1 thinly sliced red onion or shallot
5) 1/8 Ice lettuce
6) 1/2 carrot
7) 2 Tbsp fish sauce
8) 3 Tbsp lime juice
9) 1 Tbsp toasted rice powder
10) 1/2 tsp ground dried chili pepper
11) 1 tsp sugar
1) prepare the ground dried chili pepper. Those photos show you big amount because I made for the future. It's easy to find and you can buy anywhere in the market. Put dried chili pepper on the pan with medium heat.
2) Stir constantly to avoid burning until dried chili pepper turn to dark red.
3) Here I used mortar and pestle to grind the dried chili pepper. You can use the electric grinder for more convenient.
4) Place to a jar and set aside ground dried chili pepper for the dish.
5) Bring 1/2 cup uncooked rice to toast. I need only 1 Tbsp for the dish but I make more for next time I need it.
6)Stir constantly to avoid burning until rice turn to dark colour.
7)Bring toasted rice to grind , you can use the grinder to save sometime and more convenient or the mortar and pestle to grind it.
8) This is the result toasted rice powder, put in a jar and set aside.
9) Wash ice lettuce and peel red onion and carrot.
10) Cut ice lettuce into a bite size, thinly slice red onion and shred carrot.
11) Wash green onions and cilantro then thinly slice them.
12) Clean and score the squid.
13) Boil 2 cups of water on high heat for cook squid.
14) When the water is boiling, put cut squid into the pot to boil until cooks. Be careful not over cook squid it becoming rubber.
15) Drain it.
16) Place cook squid to the mixing bowl.
17) Add ground dried chili pepper, toasted rice powder, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice.
18) Add all vegetables into a mixing bowl.
19) Mix well until all ingredients get together.
20) Place in serving plate and enjoy your Thai spicy squid with toasted rice.