Thai Steamed Curried Salmon or "Hor Mok Salmon" in Thai. I had learned to make a square cups for Hor Mok Salom. This is little too big to Hor Mok. When I fill the custard to the cups and move to steamer. That wasn't easy. I made big mass on the steamer but I made it good and my husband always adore My Hor Mok .
1) 0.8 Lb. Salmon
2) 1 egg
3) 5 Tbsp thin soy sauce or fish sauce
4) 1 Tbsp rice flour
5) 2 sprigs cilantro
6) 2 fresh chilies
7) 1 kaffir lime leaves
8) Banana leaf
9) 2 Tbsp red curry
10) 1 Tbsp palm sugar
11) 1 can coconut milk ( 2 cups )
12) 4 cups napa
13) 2 cup Thai basil
1) Clean banana leaf well, then cut into square shape size 5"x10".
2) Fold the pleat on the left side corner. ( look photos below )This is picture the left side of the cup.
4) Fold a pleat from left to right side and fold from right to left. Do it again on other side of the cup until you have enough for fill the mixture.
5) Clean salmon and pat dry.
6) Remove the skin and thin slice.
7) Pour 3 cups of the water to boil on high heat. Wash Thai basil and napa, then pick up only basil leaves and thinly slice napa.
8) When the water is boiling, add basil leaves and napa to boil for couple minutes.
9) Pour out the hot water and drain in cold water, squeeze the water out and set aside.
10) Separate 1/4 cup coconut on a small bowl, then add the rest of coconut milk 3/4 cup in a mixing bowl. Add red curry paste, fish sauce, and palm sugar.
11) Mix well.
12) Add sliced salmon.
13) Add half of napa and basil. And the remaining of napa and basil will put on the bottom of each cups. Stir to mix very well.
14) Add egg.
15) Stir until all ingredients get together.
16) Wash vegetables and slice in a small pieces. ( Fresh chilies, cilantro and kaffir lime leaves )
17) Add rice flour to mix with coconut milk that we separate from step no 10.
18) Put in microwave for a minute. Sir well and use for garnish the top of each cups.
19) Add napa and basil on the bottom each cups.
20) Filling the cups with the mixture.
21) Top each cups with coconut milk that mix with rice flour, some cilantro, some sliced kaffir lime leaves and some sliced fresh chilies.
22) Bring to steam for 30 minutes or until cooks.
23) Here is Hor Mok Salmon after steamed. I got to bring the last cup to steam because my steamer is small, no space for 3 cups at once but I will enjoy first 2 cups.