Monday, March 1, 2010

Steamed shredded bamboo shoots with shrimp


Steamed bamboo shoots with shrimps or "Mok Nor Mai Sai Gung" This is another food that I made for our dinner tonight. This is food of Northeast Thailand. I steamed shredded bamboo shoots with red curry paste. I can smell all ingredients which is including the aroma of banana leaf. My mother always making Mok Nor Mai for me. Here I try to make it from my kitchen. It isn't quite good like I used to have from my mother made for me. Just wanted to try something new. The result came out is pretty good. I made with shrimp this time and I hope you try to make it someday and you will like it.

Ingredients:
1) 15 shrimps
2) 2 fresh chillies
3) 1/2 red bell pepper
4) 3 kaffir lime leaves
5) 3/4 Tbsp sugar
6) 1 cup coconut milk
7) 4 shallots
8) 3 Tbsp fish sauce
9) 4 Tbsp mashed rice
10) 2 Tbsp red curry paste.
11) 1 can shredded bamboo shoot
12) banana leaf for wrapping
13) 4 Tbsp sticky rice

Preparation:
1) Soak sticky rice with water for 15 minutes

2) Clean and peel shells of shrimps

3) Slice fresh chillies, thinly slice kaffir lime leaves and cut red bell pepper into small pieces.

4) Slice shallots into thinly small.

5) After soak the sticky rice then mash it with mortar and pestle.

Then set aside.

6) Wash shredded bamboo shoots very well then bring to boil on high heat for 15 minutes.

Drained and set aside.

7)In mixing bowl, put coconut milk, fish sauce, red curry paste, sugar and mashed
sticky rice and mix together.
8) Add cooked shredded bamboo shoots

9) Add sliced kaffir lime leaves, fresh chillies, sliced shallots and sliced red bell pepper.

10) Add Thai basil and mix it until all ingredients get together.
11) Add shrimps

12) Mix very well.


13) Cut the banana leaves into rectangle shape and make 2 layer in case banana leaves are broken.
14) Place some mixture on top of banana leaves. Make sure don't put too much until you can't wrap it.

15) Lift the bottom up to the center, then left the top to the center, after that close the right side to the center and the last close the left side to the center and use stapler.


16) After finish with wrapping then bring to steam for 20-30 minutes.

17) If the food is cook and the banana leaves is changed the colour.

18) Open it up and you will smell the yummy steamed shredded bamboo shoots with shrimp and enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing and nice to meet you. it nice blog, now I following, please follow back , here is mine ;
    http://healthythaifoodbythebennett.blogspot.com/
    http://pregnancy-parenting-tips.blogspot.com/
    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nani, Happy Thai New Year. Hope you have a good Songkran festival. I wish I could be at Udon THani with my family this year. I went to the Thai temple with my husband and we had wonderful time. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete