Thursday, March 18, 2010
Thai Steamed Salmon in Lime Sauce
Thai Steamed Salmon in Lime Sauce or "Pla Salmon Neung Ma Nao" in Thai. I made this this with Tilapia last month and here I am going to try with salmon. I am not sure salmon will be good with fresh chilies but my husband and I love it. The lime sauce which combination between fish sauce, sugar, garlic and cilantro give the salmon a fabulous flavor. It's so simple and delicious. Here I used a salmon steak but you can use any fish such as tilapia, pomfret or whatever you have available.
Ingredients for Steamed Salmon
1) 0.75 Lb. salmon steak
2) 2 kaffir lime leaves
3) 7 culantro or "Phak She Farang in Thai " (optional)
4) 2" Length galangal
5) 1 stalk lemon grass
6) 1/8 tsp salt
Ingredients for Lime Sauce
1) 2 Tbsp Lime juice
2) 2 Tbsp fish sauce
3) 3 sprigs cilantro leaves
4) 6 cloves garlic
5) 4 fresh chilies
6) 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1) Wash salmon very well 2) Then sprinkle salt all over both side.
3) Wash galangal roots, kaffir lime leaves and cut end of lemon grass then Pound lemon grass stem and cut into 2" lengths, tear kaffir lime leave in half and remove central stem, thinly slice galangal root.
4) Wash culantro or "Phak She Farang in Thai " then cut 1/2 " length.
5) Divide kaffir lime leaves, sliced galangal, lemon grass and and culantro or "Phak She Farang" in Thai into 2 parts. Place first part on the dish.
6) Then place salmon steak on the top of the all vegetables.
7) Place remaining vegetables on top of salmon steak. See photo
8) Pour water in a steamer and bring to boil. Place dish in the steamer and steam on medium-high heat.
9) Steam the salmon for 20 minutes of until the salmon is cooked.
10) While the salmon is steaming, Let's make lime sauce. Peel garlic, pick the stems from fresh chilies and wash cilantro very well.
11) Chop cilantro leaves and garlic and thinly slice fresh chilies.
12) Place all chopped fresh garlic and cilantro leaves and sliced fresh chilies in bowl.
13) Add lime juice, fish sauce and sugar into the mixing bowl.
14) stir well and taste. It has to be sweet, sour and spicy.
15) When salmon is cooked, remove from the heat.
16) Pour the lime sauce all over the steamed salmon and be ready to eat. Enjoy!