Thai Tilapia Salad or "Plah Pla" in Thai. Here is another dish last made last night for our dinner. It's another piquant food that we like to eat in Thailand. It could make from shrimp that is "Plah Gung". I marinate the tilapia with pounded cilantro roots, fresh chilies and salt for 15 minutes then I steam the tilapia and pour the spicy sauce on top of the steamed fish. This dish is very healthy. There have lot of herbs in the dish such as lemongrass and mint.
Ingredients for the steam fish:
1) 1/2 Lb. tilapia
2) 1/8 tsp salt
3) 3 fresh chilies
4) 4 cilantro roots (stem of cilantro)
5) 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce or think soy sauce.
Ingredients for the sauce
1) 2 Tbsp chop mint
2) 1 finely slice stalk lemongrass
3) 2 finely slice kaffir lime leaves
4) 4 cloves chop garlic
5) 4 thinly slice fresh chilies
6) 2 Tbsp fish sauce
7) 2 Tbsp lime juice
8) 1/2 Tbsp sugar
9) 1/2 tsp black pepper
1) Clean Tilapia and pat it dry.
2) Clean cilantro roots or here I used stems of cilantro and pick stems from fresh chilies and prepare salt.
3) Pound the fresh chilies coriander stems and salt together well by using a pestle and mortar.
4) Pound until get a perfect result then add 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce to mix in the mortar.
5) Toss the fish with the pounded mixture throughly and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
6) Then bring the dish to steam over boiling water on high heat.
7) Steam the fish for 15-20 minutes or until fish is cooked.
8) While the fish is steaming. Prepare the sauce. Finely slice kaffir like leaves, fresh chilies and mint. (See photo)
9) Peel garlic and wash it very well.
10) Chop the garlic.
12) Cut the end of the lemongrass and finely slice. ( See photo)
13) Mix fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in mixing bowl. Stir well until sugar dissolve.
14) Add sliced lemongrass, fresh chilies, kaffir lime leaves and chopped garlic in mixing bowl.
15) Stir until all ingredients get together.
16) Add black pepper into mixing bowl and stir well.
17) When the fish is cooked, remove from the heat.
18) Pour the sauce all over the steamed tilapia and be ready to eat. Enjoy!