Shrimp in coconut milk soup or "TOm Kha Gung" It was 2 days ago we had friend from Harrisburg, PA came for dinner with us. He is one of my big fan besides my husband. I made Tom Kha soup for appetizer and yellow curry shrimp for dinner. It was great but I like Tom Kha Gung that my husband made for me. He's the best of Tom Kha Gung . This is another one of most popular Thai soup. All ingredients is almost the same with Tom Yum Gung except we use coconut milk for the soup and we don't have roasted chili paste. The galangal, kaffir lime leaf and lemon grass is most important of the soup.
1) 15 shrimps
2) 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
3) 1 1/2 cup of water
4) 3 stalks fresh lemon grass
5) 3 " length of galangal
6) 4 kaffir lime leaves
7) 4 fresh chilies pepper
8) 3 sprigs fresh cilantro
9) 2 1/2 Tbsp lime juices
10) 2 cup mushrooms
11) 2 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce or lite soy sauce.
12) 1/8 tsp salt
1) Clean and peel shell of shrimps.
2) Cut kaffir lime leaves into half and thinly slice fresh chillies.
3) Chop cilantro for garnish the soup.
4) Thinly slice galangal root.
5) Trim off the very end of the root of lemon grass and smash with pestle then cut into 1 " length.
6) Wash the mushroom very well and cut into 4 pieces.
7) Put coconut milk , water and salt into the pot then bring to to boil on medium-high heat.
8) add sliced galangal, cut lemon grass and cut kaffir lime leaves, then let them boil about 5 minutes.
9) Add cut mushroom into the pot.
10) When the mushroom is getting cook then add shrimps into the pot.
11) Let the mushroom and shrimps is cooked.
12) Then add sliced fresh chillies into the pot and seasoning with fish sauce and lime juice.
13) Garnish the soup with chopped cilantro. 14) Stir well and sprinkle with cilantro before serve. Enjoy your soup!