Thai Masaman Shrimp or " Masaman Gung" in Thai. I had first time at Thai restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. That was very good and I am going to try in my kitchen. Here I made for dinner tonight. It is south of Thailand food. Masaman is an Indian influenced dish that is very popular here in the US because it's more like Indian curry that using mainly dried spices for seasoning like cardamom seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick. It's very unique type of Thai curry. If you would like to try to cook Masaman curry. I hope my blog can help you enjoy it.
1) 15 Shrimps
2) 2 Potatoes
3) 2 Tbsp roasted peanut
4) 6 Green cardamom pods.
5) 5 5 small onions( Here I used shallots)
6) 1 " Length roasted cinnamon stick
7) 2 1/2 Tamarind juice.
8) 2 Tbsp fish sauce
9) 1 cup Coconut milk
10) 1/2 Tbsp palm sugar
11) 3 Bay leaves
1) Clean and peel shell of shrimps.
2) Take 1 1/2 Tbsp tamarind paste to mix with 2 1/2 Tbsp water.
3) Peel potatoes.
Cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
Then bring to boil.
Boil 10-15 minutes.
Drained and set aside.
4) Prepare roasted peanuts, cardamom seeds, bay leaves and Cinnamon stick.
5) Peel shallots and clean very well.
6) Heat coconut milk over medium to low heat.
7) When the coconut is hot, add Masaman curry paste and stir well.
8) Add shallots into the pot until almost cook.
9) Then add shrimps into the pot.
10) Add roasted peanuts, cardamom seeds, bay leaves and Cinnamon stick into the pot until shrimps is cooked.
11) Stir well until all ingredients get together.
12) Add cooked of potatoes to mix with the pot.
13) Mix all ingredients until get through the carry sauce. Enjoy your Masaman Shrimp!