Steamed Tilapia with Tamarind Sauce or "Pla Rad Na Num Ma Kharm" in Thai. I am not sure what is this dish in Thai. If we fried fish and make tamarind sauce over the fried fish called Pla Rad Prik but here I steamed Talapia and make the sauce from tamarind paste, sriracha chil sauce, thin soy sauce and palm sugar, cut some red bell pepper. If you don't like red bell pepper you don't have to put in the dish is fine too. I like to have some crunchy vegetable on my dish. This is very easy to make and taste very delicious.
1) 1/2 Lb. Tilapia
2) 3 shallots
3) 4 cloves garlic
4) 1 green onion
5) 3 sprigs cilantro
6) 1/8 Tsp salt
7) 1 red bell pepper
Ingredients for the sauce:
1) 2" Length tamarind paste
2) 1/4 cup warm water to soak tamarind paste (3 Tbsp tamarind extract)
3) 2 Tbsp thin soy sauce
4) 1 Tbsp sriracha chili sauce
5) 1/2 palm sugar
6) 2 Tbsp water
7) 2 Tbsp canola oil
1) Clean Tilapia and pat to dry. Sprinkle salt.
2) Bring to steam 20-25 minutes or till fish is done.
3) Wash red bell pepper and cut into 2 " length.
4) Wash green onion and cilantro, then cut them into small pieces for garnish.
4) Peel shallot and garlic, wash dirt then thinly slice shallot and mince garlic.
5) Soak tamarind paste in water 1/4 cup for 20-30 minutes.
6) When the tamarind paste is soft, squeeze the soaked tamarind well to release all the pulp from it.
7) Strain to get thick tamarind juice and discard the pith and seeds.
8) You will get 3 Tbsp tamarind extract.
9) Add thin soy sauce, Sriracha Chili Sauce, palm sugar, water to mix with tamarind extract.
10) Stir well and set aside for next step.
11) Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
12) When the oil is hot, add minced garlic.
13) Add sliced shallots.
14) Stir-fried until fragrant and garlic and shallot turn gold.
15) Pour the mixture into the pan and stir until sauce is getting thick.
16) Add cut red bell pepper.
17) Stir quickly for 1 minute and remove from the heat.
18) After the fish is cooked. Place in the plate.
19) Pour the sauce over the steamed tilapia.
20) Garnish cut cilantro and green onion before serve, enjoy your meal.