Thai Black Sticky Rice Custard or "Khao Neow Dum Sung Khaya" in Thai. This is sweet rice dish with Thai custard that 's very typical of the sweet/salt contrasts in Thai cuisine. If you like sticky rice you will love this recipe. It's so delicious and you will never have enough.
Ingredients for black sticky rice:
1) 1/4 cup Black sticky rice
2) 2 Cups white sticky rice
3) 1/2 tsp salt
4) 1 and 1/4 cups
5) 1/2 cup sugar. If you like too sweet you can add some more sugar
6) 4 pandanus leaves
Ingredients for Thai custard:
1) 4 eggs
2) 3/4 cup coconut milk
3) 1/2 cup sugar
1) Prepare 1/4 cup black sticy rice and 2 cups white sticky rice. Here I have black sticky rice from Japan and it has to be mixed with white rice about 5 to 10 %. If you used 100% of black rice. You can't cook it soft. Please check the instruction from the bag. But the best you find product of Thailand.
2) Soak the sticky rice in the water for overnight.
3) Boil water in steamer on medium-high heat, drain and place 2 pandanus leaves on top and the bottom. ( See photos)
4) Steam the sticky rice for 20-30 minutes or until sticky rice is cooked.
5) While we’re waiting for the rice to be cooked, prepare coconut milk, sugar and salt to mix with it. Bring the mixture to boil on medium to low heat. Stir frequently until sugar dissolve. When the mixture is boiled, turn the heat in low. 6) After the rice is cook. Put the steam rice into the pot and stir quickly until it mix well.
7) Let the sticky rice and the mixture thoroughly mix thoroughly for few minutes.
8) Beat 4 eggs in a mixing bowl. And mix with coconut milk.
9) Add sugar.
10) Mix well until all ingredients get thoroughly.
11) Bring to steam for 30-40 minutes or until the Thai custard is firm.
12) When we serve we place steamed sticky rice on a plate and topping Thai custard on it.
13) Now you have an easy and very delicious Thai dessert called Khao Neow Dum Sung Khaya. Enjoy it!