Vegetarian Stir-fried Morning Glory or " Phad Phak Bung Fai Daeng" in Thai. Some website called Swamp Cabbage or morning glory but we call Phak Bung in Thai. The words Fai Daeng refers to the red flame that leaps up when you throw the morning glory or Phak Bung in the pan. You can also make a version using meat like minced pork, chicken. This is vegetarian dish. I will make with shrimp next time.
1) 1/2 Lb. or 3 cups morning glory
2) 5 cloves garlic
3) 5 fresh chilies
4) 1/8 tsp salt
5) 3/4 Tbsp soy bean paste
6) 1 1/2 thin soy sauce
7) 3/4 Tbsp sugar
8) 2 Tbsp canola oil
1) Discard yellow or hard leaves of morning glory, wash dirt, and pat dry. Then cut into 2" length.
3) Peel garlic , remove chilies stem, wash dirt then coarsely pound in a mortar.
4) Add soy bean paste, thin soy sauce, sugar into the plate of morning glory.
5) Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
6) When the oil is hot, add coarsely pounded garlic and chillies, fry until fragrant.
7) Then add morning glory that we put soy bean paste, thin soy sauce and sugar. This step that we will see the red flame that leaps up ( Fai Daeng) when you throw the morning glory ( Phak Bung ) in the pan.
8) Stir quickly until morning glory is soft.
9) Remove from the heat and enjoy your Phad Phak Bung Fai Daeng.