Saturday, April 24, 2010
Thai Spicy Tuna Dip with Veggies
Thai Spicy Tuna Dip with Veggies or " น้ำพริกปลาทูน่า Num Prik Pla Tuna" in Thai. Num Prik is a spicy chili paste served with rice or sticky rice. There is variety ways to make it. The main ingredients are some type of fish or meat , garlic, fresh chilies, fish sauce and lime juice. We like to have with vegetables, and serve it as main dish. Here I am going to make Num Prik Pla Tuna for our dinner. I boiled garlic, shallots and fresh chilies for my Num Prik Pla Tuna tonight. You could grill garlic, shallots and fresh chilies or you can put in a pot and dry fry until fragrant and soften. This is the way I want to try it. I will try to make it again with grill garlic, shallots and fresh chilies then I will find out which way I like to make Num Prik Pla.
1) 1 steak tuna
2) 5 Shallots
3) 4 garlics
4) 5 fresh chilies
6) 2 Tbsp lime juice
7) 2 Tbsp fish sauce ( 1 Tbsp for the soup, 1 Tbsp for Num PRik Pla in the mortar)
8) 2 cup for boil the tuna, shallots, garlic and chilies
9) 1/2 cup soup from boil tuna
9) 2 green onions
11) 4 sprigs cilantro
12) vegetable to eat with tuna dip ( cucumber, cabbage, napa or long green beans)
13) 1/8 tsp salt
1) Wash tuna steak.
2) Wash all vegetables that you would like to serve with Num Prik Pla Tuna.
3) Wash green onions and cilantro.
4) Chop green onions and cilantro.
6) Peel Peel garlic, shallots, remove chili stems, wash dirt.
7) Pour 2 cups of water water to boil , add garlic, shallots and fresh chilies. Add 1/8 tsp salt.
8) When the water is boiling, add tuna steak into the pot for 15-20 minutes or until tuna is done. and add some fish sauce into the pot.
9) When the tuna is cooked. Remove from the heat.
10) Well pound garlic, shallots and chilies in a mortar.
11) Place the tuna into the mortar and pound until well blend with garlic, shallots and chilies.
12) Add 1/2 cup soup from the pot, 1 Tbsp fish sauce and 2 Tbsp lime juice.
13) Use pestle pound slowly until all ingredients get mix.
14) Add cut green onions and cilantro.
15) Mix together and taste for your own favor.
16) Put Num Prik Pla Tuna in a bowl and serve with fresh vegetables.