Thai Fried Tilapia in Chili Sauce or "Pla Rad Prik" in Thai. This dish can be made with any kind of fish that you have in hand like catfish, grouper, sea bass or salmon. Usually, we like to make with whole fish. I don't have whole fish tonight, I made with boneless tilapia which made a great dinner also. The main chili sauce is made from tamarind concentrate. This was very tasty with salty, spicy, sour and sweet.
1) 0.95 Lb. Boneless Tilapia
2) 3/4 cup oil
Ingredients for the sauce
1) 6 cloves garlic
2) 3 shallots
3) 14 fresh chilies
4) 2 Tbsp tamarind concentrate
5) 1 1/2 Tbsp palm sugar
6) 1/8 tsp salt
7) 1 Tbsp canola oil
8) 10 sprigs cilantro
9) 2 Tbsp fish sauce
10) 3/4 cup water
Preparation for the tilapia:
1) Clean tilapia and pat it to dry.
2) Heat 3/4 cup oil in a wok on medium heat.
3) When the oil is hot, fry tilapia on a wok.
4) Fry until the tilapia is golden brown on one side.
5) Then turn another side down to fry.
6) When it is crispy then remove from the oil to drain on paper tower. And fry rest of the fish.
Preparation for the sauce:
1) Peel shallots and garlic, pick the fresh chilies from the stems and wash them very well. Wash dirt from cilantro too.
2) Chop garlic and shallots.
3) Cut stem of cilantro into small pieces. Normally, I prefer to use root of cilantro but I don't have it today.
4) Use mortar and pestle to grind the fresh chilies and stems of cilantro with salt.
6) Heat 1 Tbsp canola oil in the pan on medium heat.
7) When the oil is hot, add chopped garlic.
8) Add chopped onion.
9) Stir-fried until fragrant.
10) Add ground fresh chilies.
11) Add water, tamarind concentrate, palm sugar, fish sauce.
12) Stir until all ingredients get mix and remove from heat. Bring to pour on top of fried tilapia and garnish with cilantro before serve. Enjoy !