Thai Steamed Haddock in Sour and Spicy Soup or Pla Haddock Non Ple". Our redo kitchen looks real today. My put red cabinets in our kitchen. I am so tired of watching him work on the kitchen. Hopefully, we will able to use our kitchen by next week. I live in construction site long enough. While I help my husband around redo kitchen. I make sometime to learn to make new dish in my kitchen today. I have Haddock in the freezer and I want to try this dish for our dinner. I steamed Haddock and make sour and spicy soup pour over the fish with some vegetable and Thai herbs. It's really healthy dish. "Pla Haddock Non Ple" means Haddock sleeps in the cradle. This is very cute name of the dish. I try to make a dish look like Haddock is sleeping which has conformance to the name of the dish. This is very fun to learn to cook this dish. Once again my lovely husband liked the diner. Would you like to try to make it ? Let's try.
1) 0.4 Lb. haddock
2) 1 cup cabbage
3) 2 Green onion
4) 1 Carrot
5) 1 tomato
6) 4 fresh chilies
7) 4 sprigs cilnatro
8) 2 " length galangal
9) 2 Lemongrass
10) 2 kaffir lime leaves
11) 1 cup water
12) 1 and 1/2 Tbsp tamarind concentrate
13) 1 and 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
14) 1/2 Tbsp sugar
15) 3 shallots
1) Clean fish and sprinkle with salt.
2) Bring to steam for 20-25 minutes or until fish is cooked.
4) While the fish is steaming. Wash dirt from cilantro and cut into small pieces for garnish. Remove the chilies stem and take the seed out, thinly slice.
5) Cut the end of green onions and wash them and cut into 2 " length. Wash cabbage and cut into small bite.
6) Wash galangal, kaffir lime leaves, shallots and trim off the very end of the root of lemon grass and smash with pestle then cut into 1 " length. Slice galangal and shallots. Tear kaffir lime leaves in halves.
7) Wash carrot and tomato, cut them into a bite size.
8) Pour water to the pot and bring to boil on medium heat.
9) Add galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves into the pot.
10 Let them boil about 3- 5 minutes then add sliced shallots.
11) Add cut carrot.
12) Add cut cabbage.
13) Add cut tomato.
14) Add cut green onion.
15) Add sliced fresh chilies. Stir well and seasoning with tamarind concentrate, fish sauce and sugar.
16) Remove from the heat.
17) After the fish is cooked.
18) Place into the serving platter.
19) Pour the sour and spicy soup over the steamed fish.
20) Before serve, garnish the fish with cilantro and fresh chilies. Enjoy!