Monday, April 19, 2010
Thai small rice noodle soup with ground fish
Thai small rice noodle soup with ground fish or "Sen Lek Kuay-Tiaw Tom Yum Pla" in Thai. This soup is very popular meal in Thailand. You will see the street vendor every corner in Thailand. It's easy rice noodle soup. This is light meal in for Thai. Actually, this rice noodle soup called Kuay Tiaw in Thai. But we have many version of Kuay Tiaw. If you talk about meat you can do with chicken, fish, beef, and noodle for the soup you can make with rice noodle, egg noodle, mung bean noodle or wide noodle. And the soup you can do with normal soup, tom yum soup or many version that the food vendor prepared for sale. When I order this soup in Thailand I like to have small rice noodle Tom Yum with pork. They will make Thai small rice noodle with Tom Tum Soup and pork for me. Here I made with ground fish. You can call Sen Lek Kuay Tiaw Tom Yum Pla. This is my husband favorite soup.
This ingredients for 2 bowls. If you make for more people you could double ingredients.
Ingredients for Soup:
1) 2 and 1/2 cup water
2) 1/8 tsp salt
3) 2 Tbsp thin soy sauce
4) 2 cilantro roots
5) 1 tsp sugar
Ingredients for noodle:
1) 1/4 Lb. rice noodle
2) 0.45 Lb. tilapia
3) 4 cloves garlic
4) 1 cup bean sprout ( substitute cabbage, celery or napa)
5) 2 cups morning glory ( Optional)
7) 2 Tbsp canola oil
Ingredients for the sauce: 1 soup bowl for one mixture. I made 2 times for this recipe.
1)1 and 1/2 fish sauce
2) 1 tsp ground dried chili
3) 2 Tbsp lime juice
4) 2 Tbsp ground peanuts
Ingredients for garnish:1) 1 green onion
2) 3 sprigs cilantro
3) 1/8 pepper powder
1) Soak small rice noodles for 10 minutes, drain, and set aside.
2) Clean tilapia and grind it and set aside.
3) Wash cilantro and green onion, cut into small pieces and set aside for garnish.
5) Discard yellow or hard leaves of morning glory, wash dirt, and pat dry. Then cut into 2" length.
6) Wash bean sprout, drain and set aside.
7) Pour water into the pot.
8) Add salt and cilantro roots and bring to boil.
9) When the water is boiling, add thin soy sauce, sugar. Then turn the heat to low.
10) You can buy fried garlic from Asian grocery, if you don't want to make it. Peel garlic and use garlic press to grind the garlic or you can mince.
11) Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
12) When the oil is hot, addminced garlic to fry until golden and fragrant.
13) Put in a small bowl.
14) In a small mixing bowl, add fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and ground peanuts.
15) Stir well until all ingredients get together. Set aside.
16) In another pot, pour water to boil on high heat.
17) When the water is boiling, scald bean sprout until get soft.
18) Then place to the bowl.
19) Scald morning glory until get soft.
20) Place in a bowl.
21) Bring noodle to scald for a minute until get soft.
22) Place to a bowl.
23) Add 2 tsp fried minced garlic with oil to rice noodle, stir thoroughly, and set aside.
24) Pour water to another pot to boil on high heat to cook meat or fish. Then set aside.
25) Pour the one mixture on top of the soup bowl.
26) Add cooked ground fish in the bowl.
27) Add cut green onion and cilantro.
28) Pour the hot soup on the bowl and garnish with pepper power and ready to be serve. Enjoy!